Welcome to the BTWHS Band!
(this page updated 9/21/2021)
(Parents, this includes you!)
THINGS YOU NEED TO DO:
Please fill out this form: https://bit.ly/BTWHSBand2022
Afterward please send Mr. Lawrence Young an email ([email protected]) and include the following information:
- Student’s first & last name
- Student’s district ID number
- Parent/guardian first and last name
- Parent/guardian phone number
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
We are changing up the way we do summer band this year. We will not do a 2-week Rookie Band Camp the first week of summer break. We will not do a 2-week Full Band Camp at the end of summer. We will not begin marching until the first week of school, which is a big change that is very exciting and just a little alarming.
We have a very active presence on FaceBook here: https://www.facebook.com/theplayingcats/ and will post and update events there as things change. Our Google Calendar is also always updated and can be found here: https://goo.gl/PpUoYZ Check out our proposed schedule below and then verify the dates on our calendar or FB page just to be safe!
Rookie Orientation Meetings:
Every new student must attend ONE (1) band orientation meeting with a parent/guardian. You may attend all if you’re feeling frisky, but the same information will be presented at each one so you won’t miss out on anything.
- Dates will be announced in the Spring!
Here’s what will happen in the meetings:
- AUDITIONS: Students will audition for director(s) in order to be placed into the correct band class.
- PREPARED PIECE: wind players should prepare a piece of music of their choice to showcase their highest musical level and be ready to perform that evening.
- MAJOR SCALES: all wind/percussion students will be asked to play all the scales they know in the Florida All-State pattern
- CHROMATIC SCALE: all wind/percussion students will be asked to play a chromatic scale
- MENTORS: students will meet their peer mentor for the 2021-22 school year
- FORMS: it wouldn’t be a school meeting without forms! Parents/guardians should bring a photo ID to provide the notaries
- QUESTIONS: parents/guardians will have an opportunity to speak with band directors and learn about experiences that will become available to all students.
Color Guard and Percussion Fundamentals Camp:
All members of the drum line and color guard must attend. We will spend the entire time working on playing fundamentals for drum line and work fundamentals for the color guard.
While we will not be marching we MAY spend some time outdoors as we have a limited amount of indoor space available. Bring water and a lunch.
- Dates will be announced in the Spring
Music and Work Rehearsals:
Every member of the BTWHS Marching Band in town and not sick is expected to attend both rehearsals. There are only three – please plan around them! We will not be marching – we will focus on music for our pre-game and halftime shows.
- Dates will be announced in the Spring!
FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL:
This is where things get really fun. At this point every rehearsal is required of every marching band student. Students’ attendance is reflected in a participation grade in their band class. Unexcused absences will result in lower grades.
Students must bring a change of clothes (including shoes) for marching rehearsals. They must bring an insulated water jug (similar to this one, preferably) to drink from that can be refilled at our water station. We recommend sending a snack to eat between school letting out and practice beginning.
SECOND WEEK OF SCHOOL
Week 2! Attendance policy is in full effect throughout the year! PLEASE NOTE THE SATURDAY REHEARSAL!
- Rehearsal schedule will be announced in the Spring
Every other week throughout marching season:
See previous section for rules about attendance at rehearsals. We’ve moved to only 2 rehearsals per week to try to allow room for appointments and whatnot. PLEASE schedule appointments on Mondays or Wednesdays to ensure your student is available for Tuesday/Thursday rehearsals.
- Every Tuesday: 3:30 – 6PM
- Every Thursday: 3:30 – 6PM